The Big Concert took place in New York, 50 miles to the south of Woodstock, in 1969.
The 25th-anniversary reunion of Woodstock was held in Saugerties.
Woodstock took place over three hours away from this town.
The town of Woodstock, a leafy hamlet two hours’ drive from New York City, has been synonymous with music, creativity, and hedonism for nearly 50 years.
Where to Stay in Woodstock, NY
Woodstock has managed to keep out national hotel and retail chains because of its vigilance about retaining its small-town character and because locals object to defacing the landscape with relay towers.
The town doesn’t have a hotel of its own. Motels, bungalows, inns, and B&Bs are some of the things that it has.
It’s a must to make advance reservations since summer is high season here.
The town’s central Village Green is within walking distance of the first two of the following.
- The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream is a restored 1940s motel with a swimming hole that is perfect for cooling off. There is a small sunroom where Continental breakfast is served. A group of musicians practicing for an in-town gig filled the air with gentle sounds on the day we were there.
- Twin Gables is a private home with extra baths and bedrooms, which has been located at 73 Tinker Street for more than 50 years. The rooms are decorated with original art and period furnishings. The owners have the option to accommodate kids.
- The newest hotel in town is called Hotel Dylan and you need a car to get there. You’ll have to go into town to get the country feeling, as the former motel is located right on Route 28, which is busy. The locals seem to like the idea of rolling out of bed for a Mexican meal, just steps away from Santa Fe Woodstock.
Shopping in Woodstock, NY
You can find gift and jewelry stores, places to eat, and shops on Tinker Street, where you can find obscure music, “healing” crystals, and other bohemian-lifestyle needs.
John’s bubble bath has tie-dyed clothing on it. There are several places where the owners’ taste level and the merchandise are outstanding:
- Women’s clothing from designers such as Eileen Fisher and Joan Vass can be found at Woodstock Design, Tinker Street. Donald J.’s shoes are also included. Pliner, Arche, and Santana were all present.
- In the middle of Woodstock, there is a store called Jean Turmo, which sells fabulous fragrances for the bath and other pleasures.
- Exquisite handmade pottery, plus paintings and sculpture by local artists can be found in Elena Zang Gallery. There is a location 4 miles west of Woodstock on Route 218.
- If you’re a walker, the store at 10 Mill Hill Road is a great find. It’s dedicated to selling comfortable shoes and carries brands that make toes Curl up and smile.
- If you’re planning to do hiking, kayaking, or other mountain activities, you can outfit yourselves at this great outdoor clothing and shoes a mile west of Kingston.
- In addition to the annual July and December sales, there are often items on sale.
- More than a few of the customers closely resemble Hell’s Grandpas, scraggly gray ponytails and all, according to Woodstock Harley-Davidson. They’re still having a lot of fun with their high-priced hogs.
Also Read: Travel packages for the World Cup in Qatar 2022.
Related: America’s best cities for a quickie vacay.
Related: Japan is open to tourism.
Related: Hikes at the national park in California, USA